Search

2017-11-02

Riffs: Lupin the 3rd, Future Boy Conan, My Neighbor Totoro

Riffs: Lupin the 3rd, Future Boy Conan, My Neighbor Totoro

Riffs: Lupin the 3rd, Future Boy Conan, My Neighbor Totoro

Riffs: Lupin the 3rd, Future Boy Conan, My Neighbor Totoro

Some years ago, I posted on this riff from My Neighbor Totoro, where Mei looks through a bucket, giving us this fascinating little camera shot. This bit was quoting an early episode of Future Boy Conan. To my surprise, I only recently realized that this shot originated in the 1971-72 Lupin the 3rd TV series, from one of the episodes directed by Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata.

Hayao Miyazaki always likes to recycle certain gags and shots. It's what makes exploring his films and TV series so much fun. There are Easter eggs scattered everywhere. Why is this still such a mystery? Hardly anybody in the Ghibli fan community every talks about this. Perhaps we still need to spread the word of the pre-Ghibli era. Once you've seen Horus, Lupin, Heidi and Conan, your eyes will pop out of your heads.

Lupin the 3rd: Series One is currently available on DVD in the States, courtesy of Discotek. When is somebody going to license Future Boy Conan, already? What exactly are we waiting for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interestingly, the first faux-iris shot makes me think of a similar shot in Buster Keaton's The General, where while hiding under a table, the protagonist sees his love interest through a hole in the table cloth, giving us a variation of the iris shot.

I don't know if Miyazaki is referencing that exactly, but idk.

Chris Sobieniak said...

Now that's the HOLE story!

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover