The website Gigaom includes excerpts from a conversation with Brad Bird, where he discloses his lessons for innovative filmmaking. It's an enjoyable read, so be sure to check it out. The nine key lessons Bird offers are as follows:
1. Herd Your Black Sheep
2. Perfect is the Enemy of Innovation
3. Look For Intensity
4. Innovation Doesn't Happen in a Vaccuum
5. High Morale Makes Creativity Cheap
6a. Don't Try to "Protect Your Success"
6b. Steve Jobs Says "Interaction=Innovation"
7. Encourage Inter-Disciplinary Learning
8. Get Rid of Weak Links
9. Making $$$ Can't Be Your Focus