Search

2011-02-04

Pixar Turns 25 Years Old


February 3, 2011 marked the 25th birthday to our very beloved Pixar; on this date in 1986, Steve Jobs purchased Lucasfilm's computer graphics division, which was formed by George Lucas in 1979, and set out to create an independent computer graphics company.  The Pixar Image Computer was their first product, aimed at the commercial and scientific markets; this powerful computer also gave the company its name.  Pixar would quickly emerge as pioneers in the emerging field of computer animation, which was red-hot in the 1980s.

I think these guys made a couple of short movies, or something.  I really don't know whatever happened to them.  I mean, who's ever heard of an obscure '80s computer graphics firm called Pixar?  There might be something on the internet if you dig deep enough. (/lol)

The wonderful folks at Cartoon Brew posted Pixar's February 10, 1986 press release, announcing the creating of the new company.  I hope they won't mind too terribly if I re-post the photos here.  I'd also like to find some early Pixar videos on Youtube (ya know, with the original square logo); maybe this weekend I'll post some videos of early CGI animation.

No comments:

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover