Search

2009-08-17

Now Run Out and Get Me a Five-Year-Old, I Can't Make Head or Tail Out of This

GhibliWorld offers this antecdote from a recent appearance by Hayao Miyazaki in Japan:

Miyazaki also talked about what his latest movie means for kids. For example, some people worry about what Gran Manmare and Lisa are talking about. "They, not kids but 50 year old ojisans, say that they can't get the story because of the lack of explanations. However, I thought if Gran Manmare and Lisa's talk is heard clearly, 5 year old kids or younger can't understand it. I basically cut everything that 5 years old or younger can't understand."

3 comments:

Chandra said...

That's truly fascinating. I love watching these films for my own personal pleasure, but was eager to share Miyazaki with my daughter because of (among many reasons) his portrayal of strong and unconventional females. It's really wonderful to hear that he takes children so seriously - how refreshing!

Daniel Thomas MacInnes said...

This movie was made to be seen from the child's point of view. I think we're used to seeing family films that try to connect to the kids, but are stuck in the adult world. Is this why so many animation films rely on fast action and cheap jokes? I think that would be interesting to explore.

Miyazaki is also a very impulsive storyteller; he relies on his instinct and emotion. Very often, the logical side will be pushed aside in favor of his romanticism. I just finished reading his lengthy interview about Future Boy Conan from Starting Point, and many of these same ideas are addressed. I'll try to post some quotes if I can.

As with all things, everybody brings their own perspective to these films, and see different things in the icons and symbols. There is no "right" way or "wrong" way to interpret Miyazaki.

Chris Sobieniak said...

That was how I saw the film too. It's a child's eye on a world that is magical and mystical. Those grown-up details are not important as are the actions and interests that the characters bring to the story. I don't seem that sort of thing much in a typical 'family film' as we see domestically, but it's something I'd like to see happen if more people can learn what it is that make a film like Ponyo work.

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover