Search

2007-03-14

Heidi Highlight Reel

(Update: This video has since been removed from Youtube.  Sorry.)

This excellent little highlight reel of Heidi series appears to come from Japanese television, although I honestly don't know the context. I only know what I found by scouring around YouTube, and I've wanted something from Heidi to show, so this is terrific.

My only gripe about this video is that all the major emotional climaxes - the climaxes to acts one, two, and three - are given away. Clearly this is meant for an audience that already knows the story by heart. A "remember that old show you loved" sort of thing. However, I don't think it's a problem, since Americans haven't seen the series in its entirety. You really need the proper context, and the slow, steady buildup to really appreciate the big weepy scenes.

I have a couple software programs that may allow me to cut out individual episodes of Heidi from my DVD's, which would enable me to upload and share them. I'll be sure to see if I can make it work. Until then, here's a highlight video of that Heidi series I'm always harping about. Enjoy!

6 comments:

dude diligence said...

Love your blog, I check it daily. Thought you might be interested in this youtube like site. http://www.guba.com/

if you were looking to post video again maybe go here, you can also download the video on the site.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes said...

Thank you very much for being a steady fan. It's always appreciated. I'll check out the guba site, so thanks for the tip.

Chris Sobieniak said...

I've been to Guba before. I personally like the way they bother combing Usenet and sticking those vids up as well (plus the option to download the original AVIs of them, but the user-submitted vidoes you can only get as MP4's for iPod/PSP).

Watching that retrospective piece, it appears to have been aired on NHK BS2, one of the NHK's satellite channels.

Chris Sobieniak said...

I do know how to rip whole episodes if you don't mind me making AVIs for you as well (if I can get translations I could try fansubbing it as well, but I find trying to time them so tedious).

Daniel Thomas MacInnes said...

So which program are you using? I have one program called All to AVI (I think), which is how I was able to cut up and upload Jarinko Chie.

Chris Sobieniak said...

I've been using and outdated program called "Dr. DivX" to convert the VOB files into ABI by themselves (I first rip the DVD into the PC via DVD Shrink though DVD Decrypter works as well), then I can use a freeware program like VirtualDub or AVIToolbox to cut it up into sequences in my vids. Another software I've found that can let me rip up to two audio channels plus the subtitles is "FairUse Wizard 2", this rips the DVD's on their own.

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover