Search

2018-04-07

Artist Spotlight: Princess Kaguya by MissGreatPersonality


This excellent illustration of Princess Kaguya by Reddit user "MissGreatPersonality" appeared on the Ghibli forum, and I wanted to share it here. She created this piece as a tribute to Isao Takahata, and appears to be created with ink and watercolors, with a terrific use of color and zen space. It captures the feel of the character very well.

I saw The Tale of the Princess Kaguya in its US theatrical run four years ago, was completely mesmerized and overwhelmed. I knew that it was most likely the final Takahata movie, and the story is very reflective on themes of mortality and the beauty of life. Why have I not written about this movie in all this time? Because I'm still coming down from that experience. I'm still wrapping my head around it. It is an absolutely perfect capstone to a miraculous career.

What a genius. We have nothing in the West that even approaches what Paku-san could achieve seemingly at will. I wish that our filmmakers would at least try. Wes Anderson had a great stab with Isle of Dogs. That's a good start. Let's see more.

No comments:

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover