My apologies for turning The Ghibli Blog into a news site this weekend. But since this site is focused on Japan, and we do have friends and readers over there, I'd like to continue posting once in a while. I'll try to keep the content short and to the point.
For news updates, follow Reuters Live-Blog, or NHK World (in English).
* Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross and help Japanese victims. I ask that every reader of this site send a donation.
* Manga artists are using their skills to offer hope and aid for victims of the tragedy. You can read more here.
* Here's a sampling of Reutes photos from Japan on Saturday:
* Japanese government officials warn of another explosion at the Fukushima plant. NHK is reporting that problems exist at the Onagawa nuclear reactor in Fukushima prefecture.
* Japanese officials have revised the earthquake to 9.0 on the Richter scale. NHK reports that fatalities from the earthquake and tsunami may exceed 10,000.
* The BBC has a stunning video of the tsunami reaching the shores of Miyako, in Iwate prefecture. The rising waves appear so calm in the distance, but boats and cars are swept away like toys. A second video of the tsunami striking Sendai can be seen here.
* The force of the 9.0 earthquake moved Japan's islands 2.4 meters to the west, and shifted the earth off its axis by 10cm.
* This video of a rushing tsunami may be the most shocking yet. A person with a camera captured this as their town was literally swept away in minutes.