Search

2007-07-11

Pom Poko Screening at U of M


This evening, there will be a 7pm screening of Pom Poko at Nicholson Hall at the University of Minnesota. The movie is part of the Asian Film Society's summer run of films. A good time is had by all.

There should be time for a discussion, roughly a half-hour by my guess. I wanted to help out on that, but I've been far too overwhelmed by sleep this week to be of any use. In any event, I'll be there early enough to see if I can participate. Then again, maybe it would be best to keep me out of it. I'll wind up giving a night-long lecture on Takahata's career.

I'll cross my fingers and hope for a decent turnout.
As a final addendum, it appears I've already helped out. Turns out they're using my screenshot above, the shot from the Pom Poko page on danielthomas.org. Isn't that nice. I'll be sure to say "you're welcome" to the folks in charge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I co-arranged a screening of Pom Poko at the local Uni some time ago, expecting some 50 people to show (more like 20 in my mind).

Nevertheless, I spend most of the early evening nicking chairs from the neighbouring auditoriums.. in the end we were around 250 crammed up in there, some seated, some not, most leaning against the walls.

Luckily, the world's still - from time to time - able to pleasantly surprise us.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes said...

That's a great antecdote. I can't expect to have that kind of success here, especially during the summer. But I'll cross my fingers and hope for more opportunities.

Hmm. I really should be going back to college one of these years...

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover