Art Gallery For the Day

Animal Crackers (2000)
Watercolors and Liquid Paper on Canvas, 18"x24"

Another painting in my "Watercanvas" series from the year 2000. There are several layers, and amounts, of watercolor paints, with Kinko's brand of Liquid Paper" interspersed among the layers. To explain this painting, I'll share the notes I wrote for my old website in 2003:

"By the time I got to paintings like Animal Crackers, I was really hitting my stride. This style allowed me to unleash color with a vitality and liveliness I can find no other way. The paint is so vivid, is just flows like milk in a cup of coffee. The great circular motion in the piece is similar to sea shells or swirling galaxies; it's really an expression of the Golden Ratio. Of course, that was something I was very mindful of. The idea that everything in the universe carries the same signature is intriguing. It's very spiritual."


Copyright © 2006-2014 - Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, Animation and the Arts