Goro Miyazaki Talks About Poppy Hill

Goro Miyazaki spoke at the Toronto Film Festival back in September, 2011, to speak about his movie, From Up on Poppy Hill. For some reason, this video completely passed me by. I think now is the perfect time to watch, as Kokuriko makes its way Westward.

This is a crucial time for Goro-san and Studio Ghibli; if they are to have a future, it has to be now. They will both rise or fall together. Part of me is excited to see the younger Miyazaki take control of the Ghibli studio, because I don't believe he has any intention of following in his father's footsteps. Anyone expecting the next generation of Nausicaa or Totoro will be in for a rude awakening. Indeed, Poppy Hill suggests a much stronger inspiration from Isao Takahata's character-driven melodramas. Yes, Father Miyazaki had helmed and guided this movie with Goro, but their notorious tension is still present.

As always, everything hinges on Hayao Miyazaki, the emperor of his kingdom.  I strongly suspect his next feature film will be his last.  He will pass the reins to Goro and the new wave of Ghibli directors, and move to the background as a guiding force.  In other words, he'd still be very much in charge.  Mind you, that's what Lear thought, too, but there's no point in getting ahead of ourselves just yet.  First things first.


hjg said...

I'm rather pessimistic about the future of Ghibli after Miyazaki and Takahata are gone...

But I wanted to mention a hidden gem I discovered recently, in case you haven't heard of it: "Mai Mai's Miracle" (Sunao Katabuchi, 2009). Not from Ghibli, but more in the vein of the two masters than others from Ghibli (Arrietty; and, I suspect, the latest from Goro).

Copyright © 2006-2014 - Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, Animation and the Arts