Blu-Ray Discs are Too Expensive

Why are Blu-Ray discs so expensive? There's no justification for charging $30 - $40 for a movie, when the very same movie on DVD sells for under $15. It gives me flashbacks to the horrid days of VHS when videotapes were sold at $90 a pop. It was completely absurd and useless. Fortunately, somebody in charge switched on their brains, started selling VHS tapes at $20 or less, and the rest is history.


I wonder if Hollywood is still hedging their bets on the future of BD? Perhaps they believe digital downloads will take off sooner rather than later. In any case, the prices need to come down. In my library, we have 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn), and The Searchers. I'd be happy to get more, but there's no money left in the budget for movies. I might be able to afford another one in a month or so. Maybe.

1 comments:

Parka said...

That's why I always wait 6 months after the initial release to see the price drop.

Copyright © 2006-2014 - Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, Animation and the Arts