Shout Out to the Fans

I just wanted to give everyone my deepest thanks for sticking around the Ghibli blog. Your support and dedication is always amazing to me, and very humbling, too. I know

So, let's see....just what the heck have I been up to, when I should have been here writing? Well, work has been pretty busy. I've also been spending a lot of time with the music, working on making "needle drop" digital backups of my lp's. My current obsession with Miles Davis' electric "fusion" era is being documented at Videogames of the Damned.

I also spent a week in Bogota, Colombia recently. That was my first trip abroad, and it was a wonderful experience. Putting it all together - the tickets, the passport - was a real pain. And since I haven't flown on an airplane since 1994, I was pretty freaked out most of the time. Hopefully, the next time I'll do better. The flight attendents and a lot of the passengers no doubt were ready to have me tranquilized on at least a couple of those flights. But, hey, those were on the small planes, and being rocked around at 35,000 feet....yeeeeaahh.

Turbulence sucks. But the food was good.

I was down in Bogota to spend time with my girlfriend, a wonderful woman named Marcela Arias Rubio. Marcee and I have known each other since the start of the year, and she's a terrific, wonderful gal. Fortunately, I'm old enough to recognize a good thing when I see it, so I'm sticking to Marcee like glue from here on out. And have I mentioned that she's madly in love with me?

Anyway, enough of the excuses from yours truly.

I want to thank everyone who has left comments here on the blog. Some friends comment on older posts, and some comment on the newer ones. I just want you to know that I carefully read each and every one, and I am always impressed by the wit and intelligence and good nature. We are slowly building up a small community here, dedicated to Studio Ghibli in particular, but animation and the arts in general, and every single one of you make that happen. I could never do this without you.

My only hope is that I knew more people here in Minneapolis who shared this dedication. Otherwise, I wouldn't feel tired and worn out from the writing. It can be very tough to speak to an empty room. I am reminded that each of you are here with me, and I am not alone. For that, I am deeply grateful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your great blog and don't worry about the frequency! Congratulations on finding and keeping your girlfriend!

Chris said...

Suddenly too many post to take in . . . must . . . gain . . . control . . . of . . . senses . . .

Seriously, though, it's good to have something to read. I check back here all the time, and I was just starting to get a little worried. "Is this the end?" I thought.

It's not and I'm happy . . .

Daniel Thomas MacInnes said...

Yeah, thanks, everyone. I do worry sometimes about posting too much. You can see how many posts can be published on a good day, and I don't want anyone to feel left behind. So there's the strong temptation to relax for a day or two and make sure everyone's caught up on their reading.

Of course, I realize the dangers in this, and the fact that my favorite political blogs stay so busy (if I miss a couple days on Daily Kos, I'm lost) keeps me inspired.

Just imagine how crazy things would be if I had another writer or two on staff. Hmm...that wouldn't be a bad idea, I think to myself....

Copyright © 2006-2014 - Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, Animation and the Arts